Monday, September 29, 2008

Johnnie's Sense of Smell

It was immediately obvious to me as I watched Friday's debate that Senator McCain's constant, "Senator Obama doesn't understand" refrain was-- viscerally--a rhetorical stinker, a la "That's not change you can believe in..." from McCain's famous Green Screen speech.



Snap polls and subsequent polls prove that the phrase was a net negative for viewers. But McCain still pushed it at an appearance today.

It reminds me of the old joke: An old man goes to visit his doctor about a very personal health issue. Doctor, says the man, I am having a horrible time. What is it? the Doctor says. Doctor, says the old man, I'm having horrible silent gas emissions. On Monday I had 17 silent gas emissions. Yesterday I had 30. Why, even while sitting here I've had 4 silent gas emissions! Well, says the doctor after a pause, first, we need to check your hearing.



You can't fix that kind of tone deafness. Not even with lipstick.

No comments: